EECAN Marketing and Communications Senior Manager
EECAN Marketing and Communications Senior Manager (TUR19.387)
The British Consulate General in Istanbul is part of a worldwide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is seeking an EECAN Marketing and Communications Senior Manager to join the Department for International Trade (DIT) team.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is an international economic department securing UK and global prosperity by promoting and financing international trade and investment and championing free trade. We are responsible for: bringing together policy, promotion and financial expertise to break down barriers to trade and investment, and help businesses succeed; delivering a new trade policy framework for the UK as we leave the EU; promoting British trade and investment across the world; and building the global appetite for British goods and services.
This new role based in Istanbul will lead our marketing and communications work for the Department for International Trade across the Eastern Europe and Central Asia Network (EECAN). The postholder will have senior-level oversight of our marketing and communications activity across EECAN, its impact, budget and return on investment. The EECAN network consists of 14 markets, including Russia, the countries of the former Soviet Union (excluding the Baltics), Turkey, and Mongolia.
You will lead on the design, development, implementation and measurement of innovative and creative marketing campaigns that support our EECAN Regional Trade Plan, and have measurable impact, including work on the Global Trade Campaign. This will include identifying audiences and relevant channel planning, researching propositions, creating content and delivering high profile PR and media opportunities. You will be supported by one other EECAN Marketing and Communications professional who is being recruited in parallel as your deputy, and you will have access to event management support too. This new role is being recruited on a fixed term contract only at this point until the end of 31 March 2020, with the potential for this to be extended.
In more detail, main responsibilities will include:
- Work closely with our DIT HQ Marketing and Communications team, managing a strategic shift in our EECAN marketing and communications approach. This will focus on building high impact marketing and communications campaigns that support our EECAN objectives of promoting the UK’s prosperity objectives and as a place to invest and do business with. These are designed to attract attention, promote a clear call to action and generate real leads for UK goods and services, or investment leads, that can be followed up by DIT teams in our markets;
- Develop the above in close co-operation with the DIT team across EECAN and our sector teams in the UK, identifying opportunities across our key business sectors (e.g. Oil and Gas, Agriculture, Mining, Technology) and wider work, to reach a business audience. You will also work with our UK Export Finance (UKEF) Country Head for EECAN to ensure that the UKEF offer is integrated within our marketing campaigns;
- Assure the delivery of projects, by finding innovative and creative solutions to deliver, creating compelling content and material, including case studies, and driving effective marketing, advertising and PR activity. You will support campaign research to help form insights that can help with strategy development and improve campaign performance;
- Manage the EECAN marketing budget (and any other marketing related funding allocated to EECAN) and plan and coordinate the use of GREAT brand assets, identifying and mitigating risks. You will evaluate activity rigorously;
- Manage significant internal and external stakeholders and be the principal point of contact on the new Global Trade Campaign. You will be responsible for ensuring accurate and timely information flows between our various stakeholders. Internally, you will work closely with FCO Press and Communications colleagues and others across the British government’s network in EECAN to identify areas for collaboration and ensure maximum impact from our communications activity. Externally, you will need to build networks and develop constructive relationships with e.g. Turkish media, event organisers and multipliers; the British Chamber of Commerce (BCCT); the UK regions, and UK and Turkish business/trade associations;
- You will have excellent contacts already in marketing and communications locally here in Istanbul: have managed big-budget productions, and quickly build an understanding of what EECAN’s businesses want from the UK offer. You will have the ability to operate at a senior level, developing contacts in industry, niche media and influencers.
The successful jobholder will report to EECAN’s Chief Operating Officer who is based in Istanbul and work closely with the Deputy Trade Commissioner for EECAN. Russian language would be an added bonus but not a requirement.
In summary, a challenging role but real rewards await the successful candidate. An unmissable opportunity!
The successful candidate will be an experienced marketer or communicator (minimum 8 years) with a proven track record of successfully delivering multi-channel campaigns. You will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, government relations, or a similar field;
- An understanding of how marketing campaigns can drive behaviour change and experience across a broad range of communication disciplines;
- Excellent communication skills and experience of managing internal and external stakeholders;
- The ability to commission and analyse research, identify relevant insight that can support campaign objectives, mapping this insight to channels and audiences;
- Strong written communication and the ability to create compelling content;
- Experience of working to tight deadlines and managing uncertainty and competing priorities to achieve objectives;
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills;
- Fluency in English (both oral and written);
- Project and event management experience;
- A passion for marketing and be a strong team player with a positive attitude who is willing to get stuck into a wide range of projects;
- Developing creative ideas and concept delivery.
- Experience of paid-for campaigns would be advantageous;
- Experience of international marketing would also be advantageous;
- An understanding of what EECAN’s businesses want from the UK offer;
- Experience of working in a commercial trade and investment context;
- Agency advertising experience.
This is a full-time fixed term contract until 31 March 2020, with the possibility of extension, for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The monthly salary for this position is 3,251.74 USD gross C4 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Turkey. The British Consulate General in Istanbul does not sponsor for work permits.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
Staff recruited locally by The British Consulate General in Istanbul is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Consulate General in Istanbul will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.